The majority of sites in the human genome do not encode for proteins.

True or False: Majority of Human Genome Sites Do Not Code for Proteins

It is possible to answer the question whether most sites of the human genome don’t encode proteins. Evidence from human genome-wide DNA analyses has confirmed this. ENCODE, an effort to study human DNA, found that 1.5% of humanity’s genome is encoded for proteins. The rest of the DNA sites, however, are made up of non-coding regions or regulatory elements. Raj et. al. Raj et al. (2016) discovered that only 1.5% (or 1.5%) of the human genome encodes directly for proteins. The remaining 98.5% are non-coding regions or regulatory elements. Other studies, including the 1000 Genomes Project (1000GP), have further confirmed these findings. They found that most of the human genome was composed non-coding DNA elements such as regulatory elements (Liu and al. 2020). Fonseca et al. Fonseca et al. (2020) claimed that 1.5% of human DNA encodes proteins while the remainder consists non-coding and regulatory elements.

Still struggling to complete your homework?
Get instant homework help from our expert academic writers!